Monday, February 16, 2009

The Very Best of Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine

I received two very large boxes this week. The first box, from Jill Roberts at Tachyon Publications, contained a whopping 611-page manuscript. The second box, from F&SF Magazine publisher and editor Gordon Van Gelder, contained a stack of back issues (the oldest being June 1966) and three different, old F&SF anthologies (the oldest dated 1953), along with a couple other books and photocopies. And a recent email from Gordon stated that he still needed to send me a few more issues.

As you may have surmised, all of this stuff was sent to me because for my next project...

I will be copyediting the anthology The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, edited by Gordon Van Gelder for Tachyon Publications. This book is so new -- literally -- that it hasn't even been mentioned as yet on the publisher's web site. So does that mean you've heard it hear first? Maybe...

It has been a very long time since a 600-plus page manuscript has crossed my desk. But the most enjoyable part of a job like this is that I get to read all this wonderful "very best of" F&SF fiction, and get paid for doing so! Ya gotta love it! (Of course, I also have to catch all the typos, missing punctuation, scanning errors, etc. while reading all this great fiction.)

No comments:

Post a Comment